Leaders in action.
Changemakers are responding to their community’s biggest social, environmental, and economic challenges. With a shared vision for change, MakeWay backs community leaders with grants, platforms, and partnerships that synchronize with their drive for action.
Backing your actions
What does it take to make positive change? The right partnerships, effective resources, and experienced support. This is what MakeWay offers changemakers.
Our shared platform offers charitable infrastructure and expertise ranging from financial management to governance and administration. By joining the shared platform, more of your time and money goes towards achieving greater impact. Right now there are 60 projects growing and gaining momentum on the platform.
MakeWay also provides grants to purpose-aligned charitable initiatives, unlocking financial support for your cause. We believe in trust-based philanthropy, and our grantmaking partnerships are rooted in the belief that communities know best the solutions to the challenges that they face.
Tools for Changemakers
We support community leaders with many tools for change that back daring ideas and provide support to realize your vision.
In collaboration, we create custom solutions to help achieve change. With 20 years of experience building and implementing a unique approach, MakeWay is a proven partner.
All of MakeWay’s in-house custom solutions are leveraged to create opportunities for changemakers to move from vision to impact.
- Convene diverse changemakers to achieve shared impact around an issue or geography
- Dive into a new campaign or program design
- Support for fundraising and outreach
- Evaluate outcomes, share learnings, and revise as needed
Creating on the ground impact takes time and resources. The shared platform supports initiatives with expert back-end operations, strategic solutions, and charitable expertise so they can focus on what they do best – driving real change. It’s a networked platform for impact, where changemakers can collaborate, learn, and share supports.
- Home to over 60 unique and aligned projects
- Tools for governance, compliance and financial management
- Resources for grants administration, human resources, risk management
- Opportunity for collaboration among fellow projects
At MakeWay, we help donors make meaningful gifts and build relationships with changemakers on the ground. The result is an informed and engaged giving strategy managed by our team of experienced program leads.
Deep subject matter expertise and trust-based community networks means grantmaking goes beyond surface solutions, directing investments in ways that maximize positive, sustainable change. Whether individual, institutional, government, or corporate, we support donors to be more connected and effective in their giving.
Our knowledgeable program leads work to:
- Manage strategic granting portfolios
- Collaborate in active partnership with communities to help articulate, design, and implement lasting solutions
- Act as networkers, conveners, and relationship builders
A strong collective effort with a unified mission takes us all to greater heights. Collaboratives bring grantmakers and community representatives together to pool resources and share ideas. This gives community-led initiatives a foundation for success with more flexible and responsive financial supports, fewer administrative hoops, and opportunities for shared learning, co-creation, and evaluation.
- Promote more informed and effective grantmaking
- Combine effort to improve the efficiency of accessing money and other resources (such as tools and equipment)
- Make it easier for communities to access funding
- Break down the traditional model of top-down philanthropy
- Strengthen connections among philanthropic institutions and communities
We believe in using economic levers to create positive social change and encourage corporate responsibility. Impact investments are made in companies, organizations, and initiatives to generate positive social impact and a financial return.
MakeWay offers the country’s first fully-customizable 100% impact invested donor advised fund – ImpactDAF. This unique philanthropic vehicle provides the grantmaking functions of a DAF, while also mobilizing the underlying investments for positive impact. Each ImpactDAF has a customized financial and impact strategy that aligns with its purpose. This means that ImpactDAFs are able to have a positive impact through both grantmaking and investing.
- Align values with investments to achieve financial and social return
- Offer a fossil fuel-free ESG portfolio (managed by Genus)
- Lead research on new impact investing solutions
- Provide impact measurement using a methodology aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Goals
An alternative to starting your own foundation, donor advised funds are an efficient and flexible vehicle for charitable giving. Through a donor advised fund, you can deliver on your unique philanthropic vision, while minimizing costs and maximizing impact.
When you work with MakeWay, you join a national community of individuals, charities, foundations, nonprofits, and businesses who share your passion for environmental and social change.
- Benefit from efficient, flexible giving
- Invest in a fossil fuel-free investment portfolio
- Leave a legacy or honor a loved one
- Manage charitable giving from one place, minimizing costs and maximizing impact