Doing philanthropy differently.
When philanthropists connect with on the ground projects, transformational solutions emerge. Our deep networks and twenty years of experience make new paths for philanthropy possible.
MakeWay connects you with the issues that are most important to you. We help you discover and define your philanthropic focus, while creating a tailored giving strategy that aligns with your vision for the world.
Because MakeWay is a leading national charity with a unique suite of tools, we can leverage a wide range of in-house expertise to create custom solutions.
Tools for Change
Work with us to identify solutions from our suite of tools to achieve your vision.
In collaboration, we create custom solutions to help achieve change. With 20 years of experience building and implementing a unique approach, MakeWay is a proven partner.
Ensure your gifts have a meaningful impact. We can help you to develop or refine your philanthropic strategy, manage grantee relationship on your behalf, and undertake research and evaluation to fully realize your philanthropic vision.
- Investigate new and exciting angles to your philanthropy
- Address gaps in the sector by creating a new charitable initiative
- Manage the administration of grants to qualified donees
- Develop an evaluation framework to track the impact of your philanthropic giving plan
Make meaningful gifts and build relationships with changemakers on the ground. The result is an informed and engaged giving strategy managed by our team of experienced program leads.
Deep subject matter expertise and trust-based community networks mean grantmaking goes beyond surface solutions, directing investments in ways that maximize positive, sustainable change. Whether individual, institutional, government, or corporate, we support donors to be more connected and effective in their giving.
Our knowledgeable program leads work to:
- Manage strategic granting portfolios
- Collaborate in active partnership with communities to help articulate, design, and implement lasting solutions
- Act as networkers, conveners, and relationship builders
Not all change happens on the ground, there’s a lot of admin behind the action. The Shared Platform supports grassroots initiatives with expertise and resources.
- Home to over 60 unique and aligned projects
- Opportunity for collaboration among fellow projects
- Tools for governance, compliance and financial management
- Resources for grants administration, human resources, risk management
A strong collective effort with a unified mission takes us all to greater heights. Collaboratives bring grantmakers and community representatives together to pool resources and share ideas. This gives community-led initiatives a foundation for success with more flexible and responsive financial supports, fewer administrative hoops, and opportunities for shared learning, co-creation, and evaluation.
- Promote more informed and effective grantmaking
- Combine effort to improve the efficiency of accessing money and other resources (such as tools and equipment)
- Make it easier for communities to access funding
- Break down the traditional model of top-down philanthropy
- Strengthen connections among philanthropic institutions and communities
- Most collaboratives include additional programming like knowledge exchange, shared measurement, storytelling etc.
We believe in using economic levers to create positive social change and encourage corporate responsibility. Impact investments are made in companies, organizations, and initiatives to generate positive social impact and a financial return.
MakeWay offers the country’s first fully-customizable 100% impact invested donor advised fund – ImpactDAF. The ImpactDAF is a unique philanthropic vehicle that provides the grantmaking functions of a DAF, while also mobilizing the underlying investments for positive impact. Each ImpactDAF has a customized financial and impact strategy that aligns with its purpose. This means that ImpactDAFs are able to have a positive impact through both grantmaking and investing.
- Align values with investments to achieve financial and social return
- Offer a fossil fuel-free ESG portfolio (managed by Genus)
- Lead research on new impact investing solutions
- Provide impact measurement using a methodology aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Goals
An alternative to starting your own foundation, donor advised funds are an efficient and flexible vehicle for charitable giving. Through a donor advised fund, you can deliver on your unique philanthropic vision, while minimizing costs and maximizing impact.
When you work with MakeWay, you join a national community of individuals, charities, foundations, nonprofits, and businesses who share your passion for environmental and social change.
- Benefit from efficient, flexible giving
- Invest in a fossil fuel-free portfolio
- Leave a legacy or honour a loved one
- Manage charitable giving from one place, minimizing costs and maximizing impact