More than charitable giving.
MakeWay equips Financial Advisors with philanthropic options that line up with their clients’ values.
Customizing approaches to philanthropy
Community-led projects are making way for people, nature, and the economy. MakeWay introduces your clients to these actions and offers them ways to support projects that they may not have otherwise known about.
We work with advisors to tailor a giving strategy that helps you and your client go beyond making a charitable gift, to making strategic philanthropic investments that align with their unique values.
Tools for Change
Work with us to customize a solution from our suite of tools to complement your client relationship.
In collaboration, we create custom solutions to help achieve change. With 20 years of experience building and implementing a unique approach, MakeWay is a proven partner.
Ensure your clients’ achieve the greatest possible impact through their philanthropy. We can help them to develop or refine an existing philanthropic strategy to fully realize their philanthropic vision.
- Host an exploratory conversation to identify values, intended legacy, and interest areas
- Design a new philanthropic giving strategy that reflects your client’s unique vision for change, focus areas,
- Identify and build community connections that have a lasting impact for both your client and the community
- Meet quarterly or annually with you and your client to report on the efficacy of the philanthropic strategy
Make meaningful gifts and build relationships with changemakers on the ground. The result is an informed and engaged giving strategy managed by our team of experienced program leads.
Deep subject matter expertise and trust-based community networks mean grantmaking goes beyond surface solutions, directing investments in ways that maximize positive, sustainable change. Whether individual, institutional, government, or corporate, we support donors to be more connected and effective in their giving.
Our knowledgeable program leads work to:
- Manage strategic granting portfolios
- Collaborate in active partnership with communities to help articulate, design, and implement lasting solutions
- Act as networkers, conveners, and relationship builders
A strong collective effort with a unified mission takes us all to greater heights. Collaboratives bring grantmakers and community representatives together to pool resources and share ideas. This gives community-led initiatives a foundation for success with more flexible and responsive financial supports, fewer administrative hoops, and opportunities for shared learning, co-creation, and evaluation.
- Promote more informed and effective grantmaking
- Combine effort to improve the efficiency of accessing money and other resources (such as tools and equipment)
- Make it easier for communities to access funding
- Break down the traditional model of top-down philanthropy
- Strengthen connections among philanthropic institutions and communities
- Most collaboratives include additional programming like knowledge exchange, shared measurement, storytelling etc.
We believe in using economic levers to create positive social change and encourage corporate responsibility. Impact investments are made in companies, organizations, and initiatives to generate positive social impact and a financial return.
MakeWay offers the country’s first fully-customizable 100% impact invested donor advised fund – ImpactDAF. This unique philanthropic vehicle provides the grantmaking functions of a DAF, while also mobilizing the underlying investments for positive impact. Each ImpactDAF has a customized financial and impact strategy that aligns with its purpose. This means that ImpactDAF’s are able to have a positive impact through grantmaking and investing.
- Align values with investments to achieve financial and social return
- Offer a fossil fuel-free ESG portfolio (managed by Genus)
- Lead research on new impact investing solutions
- Provide impact measurement using a methodology aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Goals
An alternative to starting your own foundation, donor advised funds are an efficient and flexible vehicle for charitable giving. Through a donor advised fund, your client can deliver on their unique philanthropic vision, while minimizing costs and maximizing impact.
When you work with MakeWay, you join a national community of individuals, charities, foundations, nonprofits, and businesses who share your passion for environmental and social change.
- Benefit from efficient, flexible giving
- Invest in a fossil fuel-free portfolio
- Leave a legacy or honour a loved one
- Manage charitable giving from one place, minimizing costs and maximizing impact